4.23.2009

Cafe Hugo, Paris

Someone who feels less may be able to say more.

She knew they were both trying, even as the awkward silence between them yawned wider.

It'd never been like this, she thought sadly.

"So...have you settled in ok and all?"

"I'm starting to find out how atrocious my French is, but other than that I'm just dandy."

----------------

"I'd like to see you home, you know, if I may," he coughed slightly, flustered.

She shrugged. "I'm walking back to my place."

"Then you won't mind if I accompany you. I hear there are disreputable people around these parts trying to take advantage of pretty young ladies." He fell into a step beside her when he saw that she wasn't going to refuse him.

"And how do I know you're not one of them?" She was amused now. It was so like their usual banter in the past. Almost.

He winked. "You don't. You're just gonna have to trust me."

They walked all the way in near silence. He stole quiet glances at her, his jaw working. She tamped down the urge to fidget, forcing herself to relax.

-------------------

She was standing with her back half-turned to him. She can’t see his face. She doesn’t want to see his face.

She reached up and rubbed her arm nervously. "I understand why you're here. You have the right to know if you can move on and if I didn't make myself clear the first time, when I --"

His hands came over her shoulders. "That's not why I'm here. I suppose it'd be less awkward if I came up with a whole bunch of reasons why I came, but all I really have now is that I just wanted to see you." She heard him sigh because he was so close. "I couldn't stay away."

His hands dropped and she shivered, instinctively missing the loss of warmth.

"Goodnight. Get some sleep."

"Wait," she heard herself say around the knot in her stomach. She turned around and faced him. "Have a late breakfast with me tomorrow. Same place we're at tonight. They make very good crepes. You should try the one with the Grand Marnier--"

He smiled genuinely for the first time that evening. "I'll be there."

No comments: