10.07.2008

Intermezzo



"Why do you think most love stories have happy endings?"

"Because most people prefer happy endings at all costs."

"Life isn't like that."

"No, but a good love story deals with that fact. It teaches one to survive - and perhaps, hope."

Are we learning from the stories we tell each other? Our discussions of philosophy, art, our past...and how the simplest things are changed when shaded by your presence?

"What it really all comes down to," he continued, a trifle sardonically, "is that a man cannot help what he does when bespelled by a woman."

I smiled. Yes, I think we are.

**********

"So tell me how you got that ridiculous nickname."

"It's a long and boring story," he replied wryly.

"Please. You know I like stories."

"I don't think now is the time for stories." The firelight caught the predatory gleam in his eyes.

"Oh." I tried to sound exasperated and failed. "Well, later then."

"Much later."

**********

I traced his every feature, taking my time, memorizing the details, slowly and gently. The darkness deepened and the air hummed. The night stood still, only complete awareness remaining.

On the other hand, he was learning about me too.

No comments: