2.20.2009

Hung up


...

"I asked her, how do I know? And she said, if she's in love with you, she'll leave. If she loves you, she'll stay."

She grimaced. "Huh. Way to go asking my grandmother."

"I'd ask her any day. You know, she's as good at dispensing craggy wisdom as any shrink worth his couch. Better, perhaps. I got it, alright." He shifted the phone to his other hand and cleared his throat. "In fact, I'm planning to see you soon."

"Well, of course. We've agreed to meet up here on the way to --"

"Nope, before that, babydoll."

"Oh."

"Oh?" She couldn't tell whether he's teasing or not.

"Uh, you know - oh like, should I be freaking out or something?"

"Hmm, that depends." His reply carried hint of amusement.

Her brow furrowed. "You're being very...cryptic."

His voice dropped. It grew somber, rushed. "Am I? Anyway, I'll call you as soon as I'm booked. Gotta go now though. Love you."

"Wait --"

Click.

No comments: