8.25.2008

Symmetry

But now and then he'll say something wonderful...

"I was hurt like this."

"I know. The difference is, I'm still here. Not just present; here."

"Always?"

"Always." A simple word, but it was a breach, a breakthrough. "Don't you know me by now?"

Hearing it, believing it...What was it he said some time back? 'I know more than anyone what chances a man could take...and how far he could fall.' She brushed her hand over his lips, felt him smile.


He exhaled warmth. "Feel better?"

She sighed. "You always know what to say."

"I don't until you ask. I just...do my best to answer you."

She felt a powerful rush of feeling for him, and tears stung her eyes. She broke, she cried, she rebuilt herself. It was never easy or pretty. But to him, anything else in the world outside, with its standards and sharp lines, could not have this perfection.


'Something Wonderful' from The King and I

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heavy.
A breath of comfort.