8.23.2008

Between Being and Becoming...

Just One Sign is Everything


Chaya hai khumar tera
Dil mein sama ja
Beqaso ki taqdeer, tune hai sawari...
*


This song is on constant repeat on my pod. It's a ghazal dedicated to the Sufi saint Moinuddin Chishti. I may only know a smattering of it, but the Urdu language is so hypnotically poetic and unabashedly spiritual. I'm so captivated by this piece, I've begun doing dervish whirls on my weekend jaunts to the Tuileries ( yeah, I'm "spontaneous" like that, but the locals don't seem to mind! A nice gentleman even told me that I reminded him of a Fellini heroine heheh.)


A.R. Rehman is a genius.



Here's a vid of the song from a movie. It's sung after the firewalk /nikah of Emperor Jalaluddin Akbar to Princess Mariam-uz-Zamani / Jodha of Amer.





This instrumental version sounds divine as well:




*
Your trance is all over me
Reside in my heart
The destiny of the ones in despair, you have changed for the better


No comments: