11.01.2008

Menagerie

We dream of hope. We dream of change. Of fire, of love, of death. And then it happens. The dream becomes real.

The huge elephant in the room that had eyed me balefully for the past several months suddenly went on the attack last night.

It jumped over the couch, sat on me and wouldn't let me breathe.

"Address me," it said.

"I can't," I responded.

"Then I'll keep haunting you."

Suddenly, the change in your life that should have been wonderful, comes as a betrayal. It may seem cruel, but the goal is nothing short of self-preservation. Survival.

I gestured around the room. There was an panda perched on the bookcase, an anteater curiously nosing a box of granola on the coffee table, and a Bengal tiger stalking the length of the kitchen.

"Suit yourself."

Evolution is an imperfect, and often violent process.The question of good and evil, reduced to one simple choice: Survive? Or perish? Where do we run, when things we believe in vanish before our eyes?

The most important question of all: Can we ever change what we really are?



quotes courtesy of Mohinder Suresh (Heroes)

No comments: