9.08.2008

Bruges in the Fall


"...but he was gone when autumn came..."*


I will remember your eyes the most. The way they're sad and gentle and inquisitive. The way they crinkled at the corners when you laughed. I watched the stars unravel in them. All this I will commit to memory and wear out in my mind's eye in the lonely road ahead.

What atrocities one might commit, when faced with such eyes...


*******


"I don't know what to think. It's not fair. You just can't take someone's heart and set its beat, then give it back the moment you found the right rhythm."

I reached up and kissed you. Your lips were soft and cool and sweet. It was a short, faint kiss. I wouldn't find the strength to part ways if it held any more passion.

And what about me? I'll go away knowing that my heart is no longer my own.

"I will kiss you again," I promised. "In this life or another."

"It's a deal, ninja-girl."

*******



"Let me carry that for you."

"No, it's fine, I got it. Really." I hated the plea in my voice.

You touched my forehead. "You're still so sick."

I shook my head, trying to smile. "It's just pollen season."

Send me from you now and I will find you. Please let go, my darling.

You watched me a moment, then bit your lip and nodded. "OK."

The suitcase felt so heavy.


******


Just look back. Just look back. If you just looked back, I'd change my mind. If you just looked back, I'd forget everything I thought I believed in. Just look at me again and I will follow you. If you just looked back. If you just looked back...

But I had shut my eyes.



* I dreamed a dream from Les Miserables

No comments: